IMPROVE YOUR SOUL
ENTRY #9: October 1st, 2021
ENTRY #8: April 1st, 2021
Avoid wrongful pride in “telling it like it is”; Declarative dullardry.
ENTRY #8: March 1st, 2021
Reclaiming the anticipatory event.
ENTRY #7: February 1st, 2021
An ability to play popular games is a social asset. To make the most of this asset one must be popular at the gaming hangout, and this depends even more upon good manners than upon skill as a player. Observance of the following principles will increase one’s popularity as a game player.
- Sit erect, maintain a quiet bearing, avoid nervous habits. When someone else is playing it is best to sit back and wait until the round or stage is fully completed before asking to play.
- Practice playing games. An appearance of clumsiness gives a bad impression of one’s ability to play the game: People associate awkwardness of one sort with awkwardness or ineptness of other sorts.
- An inexperienced player, or anyone sitting in a game with better players, is likely to be nervous and uncertain. This feeling should be concealed as much as possible. The other players will prefer to have a play made promptly even though it turns out to be wrong, than to have anyone sit in long periods of indecision through fear. Nothing makes other players more uncomfortable than to have a player moan, “Oh, dear, I just don’t know what to do.”
- During the game, avoid conversation on matters not related to the game.
- Don’t delay the game by discussing what should have happened or what might have happened on a previous play. Above all:
– Don’t express sympathy for a loser—including yourself when you are losing.
– When a play has just gone very well for you, don’t talk to anyone about it.
– Don’t point out your opponents’ mistakes to them. This is even worse than criticizing your partner for his mistakes.
- When watching others play, make no comment and ask no questions.
ENTRY #6: January 1st, 2021
Gamers vs Grumblers
Gamer – someone who is gamesome. “I’m game”. A person of action.
Grumbler – someone who is at odds. “I’m disagreeable”. A person of complaints.
As the console wars have become less prominent, people have increasingly found ways to personally introduce and attack demographics in debates. This has lead to increased hostility since now the target is placed solely on the individual’s actual body, character, and biologically related group rather than his favored company in which he consumes goods from. The gamer is above the demographic. Transcendental to worldly affairs. Talk of sub-gamer demographics sets the stage for division and lowering our esteemed relations to one another.
ENTRY #5: November 1st, 2020
Cumulative effect. “nickle n’ dimin”.
ENTRY #4: September 1st, 2020
Metastasis – break the cycle.
ENTRY #3: August 1st, 2020
Avoid vicariously living in other’s thoughts.
ENTRY #2: July 1st, 2020
Unlearning is a tough skill to master. In a game creator sense it is difficult to forget solidified structural thinking accrued over the years when desiring to make new designs. In a game player sense it is difficult to recreate and remember poor performance of the initial failed attempts as you encountered difficulty (i.e. Pinna Park’s behind the ferris wheel section in Super Mario Sunshine).
ENTRY #1: June 1st, 2020
Going from a touch pad to plugging in a computer mouse on my laptop for gaming purposes has made a world of difference in terms of speedy interaction with screen elements. The fatigue of dragging finger movement is gone. This also translates to making non-gaming applications far more efficient and pleasurable to operate in.